Palazzo Chiaramonte Steri
Piazza Marina 61
Palazzo Chiaramonte Steri was built by Manfredi di Chiaramonte in 1320, and is an excellent example of the architectural transition from medieval castle to aristocratic palace, as revealed by its heavy square forms. The building is part of the history of Palermo: from the late 15th century to 1517 it was the residence of the Spanish viceroys, after which it housed the Royal Customs and then, from 1600 to 1782 the tribunal of the Holy Inquisition. The government’s opponents were executed in the piazza it overlooks. It underwent restoration in the 1950s under the supervision of architect Carlo Scarpa and now serves as the offices of the rector of the University of Palermo. It also houses Renato Guttuso’s famous oil painting “La Vucciria”.
There are two parts to IDS Academy 2016:
• 12-13 September, Convento di Baida, via al Convento di Baida 43:
Workshop with selected participants in preparation for the IDS Academy Main Event
• 14-16 September, Palazzo Chiaramonte Steri, Piazza Marina 61:
the IDS Academy Main Event consisting of open sessions for the presentation of projects, rough cuts and IDS Talks.